Monday, July 1, 2013

Delirium: Review

I still suffer from 'Post Potter Depression'. Urban Dictionary defines this as 'The empty feeling that comes from finishing the seventh book in the Harry Potter series and realizing there will be no more.' So ever since finishing what I consider to be the greatest book series known to man-kind I've been on the hunt for books to fill the void. Harry Potter Fangirl aside, I do enjoy other books from many different genres, I'm not just a crazy 20year old who hates everything that doesn't centre on a trio of wizards :)

Anyway, I went with Delirium by Lauren Oliver this week, which has been all over twitter/tumblr/pinterest since after The Hunger Games made bank. To be perfectly honest, I was underwhelmed. Maybe the FOX pilot not getting picked up should have been a sign but I thought it'd be a case of  'the books is always better than the movie/tv show'. The book was just alright, nothing phenomenally amazing and nothing terrible either.


I liked:
The way Lena slowly came to realize that there was more to life than just the world she knew
The Hana/Lena friendship
The way Oliver illustrates the frailty of life but in the same breath the fact that you need to be brave and do more than just exist

I did not like:
Lack of development for secondary characters. They just seemed like place fillers.

Favourite Quotes:
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”- Hana

“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” - Lena

“I know that the whole point—the only point—is to
find the things that matter, and hold on to them, and fight for them, and refuse to
let them go.” - Lena

“The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and
when you don’t.”- Lena

That being said, there was nothing wrong with the book, it just wasn't a 'up 'til 5am because i absolutely MUST know how it ends' type of book. Reading Pandemonium next, hopefully it'll be a page turner :)


No comments:

Post a Comment